Tuesday, January 19, 2021

BOBBY COLE — Well, when do we get that full-blown ORGY???

OK, “full blown” and orgy” go together, or should, but not here.

From the same session as “Flowers,” here’s Bobby about to give his female acolyte a chance to hear the unrecorded “The Orgy,” but we don’t get too much of it. It was apparently a work in progress. I doubt that Bobby was going to get too graphic anyway. Symbolic perhaps, in poetic terms, but I have no idea, since I don’t have a xerox copy of this one. Maybe it was never completed and sent to ASCAP. I don’t know much about ASCAP procedure, as my stuff is with BMI. Ahem ahem, I like to think that my songs, like Bobby’s are so “unique” (his favorite word) that nobody but the original author could do ‘em justice…hence the glaring lack of cover version competition. That they're on Spotify, YouTube, Amazon, iTunes and the usual suspects, where people can discover them, is fine with me. Memorizing that stuff and trying to find venues, and travel...hey, I didn't want to do that even before Covid-19. But I digress…

After sketching through a bit of “The Orgy,” Bobby realizes that some of the lyrics and phrasing could be considered Dylanesque. Not quite like John Lennon or Phil Ochs in those unearthed home recordings and bootlegs where they dabble in Dylan parody, Bobby always respected and admired Bob. Here, he may have been a little surprised in noticing the connection for possibly the first time. Oh, if only “The Orgy” had been covered by Bob Dylan back in the day. At the moment, "The Orgy" in sheet music form could be lost, or could require a "serious" inquiry (and money) to view it at ASCAP, or could be on a tape somewhere.

THE ORGY...with a bit of a Bob Dylan impression towards the end

3 comments:

Marie said...

I'm so sorry! I haven't looked at your blog since December, and just saw you blogged twice about Bobby in January. You are a treasure. Thank you! -- Marie

Marie said...

Also - The entire composition is called "Orgy at the Chapel," and I do have a copy of it, thanks to Stephanie and her mom. If you'd like for me to email you a copy, please email me. :)

Marie said...

I mean "Orgy in the Chapel," sorry.